Argus Media 2015 – present
- Edit a team of 15 reporters covering energy policy and commodity trading for this international energy pricing service and newswire.
- Write headlines, develop story ideas and help train new journalists.
- Led seminar on how to improve news writing and helped to develop reporting packages that won Argus’ first SPJ newswriting awards.
- Co-wrote, hosted 2018 midterm election webinars.
Bloomberg News 2010- 2015
Energy, environmental reporter
- Led coverage of high-profile energy issues, including the Keystone XL pipeline, oil train safety, crude exports and the fallout from Solyndra’s bankruptcy.
- First to report on a key government analysis for Keystone and how lobbying by the rail industry changed proposed oil train regulations.
- Co-wrote investigative series into the Obama administration’s transparency record that was a finalist for Scripps Howard and Online News Association awards.
- Appeared on TV and radio, including C-span’s Washington Journal to discuss cover story on Obama’s record on green jobs.
The Hill 2003- 2010
Lobbying editor, reporter
- Edited four-person team covering lobbying that won numerous awards for local and in-depth coverage.
- Covered lobbying industry and energy/environmental policy, including fight over cap-and-trade climate bill in Congress.
- Developed energy and environmental blog and wrote weekly column on lobbying.
Inside Washington Publishers 2002 – 2003
- Covered electricity policy, including collapse of Western energy market, and edited trade newsletter. Wrote about defense industry from 1995-1998.
BA Journalism, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA. Graduated 2001.
Poynter/ACES Advanced Editing Certificate. Fall 2018.
Master’s degree candidate, journalism, University of Nebraska, Lincoln.